Policies and Guidelines
Gibbons School – Student Code of Conduct
2020 - 2021
Student Code of Conduct is defined in the Education Act under Section 33(2). These are legal obligations of all students in Alberta Schools. Student responsibilities, as defined in Section 31 of the Education Act include:
- Attend school regularly and punctually,
- Be ready to learn and actively engage in and diligently pursue the student’s education,
- Ensure that the student’s conduct contributes to a welcoming, caring, respectful and safe learning environment that respects diversity and fosters a sense of belonging,
- Respect the rights of others in the school,
- Refrain from, report and not tolerate bullying or bullying behavior directed towards others in the school building, during the school day or by electronic means,
- Comply with the rules of the school and the policies of the board,
- Co-operate with everyone authorized by the board to provide education programs and other services
- Be accountable to the student’s teachers and other school staff for the student’s conduct, and
- Positively contribute to the student’s school and community.
It is the belief at Gibbons School that it is the responsibility of each individual student to be responsible for complying with our school expectations and Section 31 of the Education Act. Staff at Gibbons School will help students to adhere to the expectations through a process of learning. Staff shall:
- Help the student identify the inappropriate behavior(s)
- Help the student solve the problem(s) created by these behavior(s)
- Leave the student’s dignity intact
- Share the Code of Conduct with students twice annually, in September and January.
- Make the Code of Conduct accessible to families by sending out electronically in September and posting on school website for easy access.
Factors such as age, grade, nature of the misbehavior, degree of the situation, emotional stability and past history will be considered when action is taken.